[TYPO3-english] Translating extensions

Bernd Wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Fri Jan 27 08:29:01 CET 2012

On 01/26/2012 10:41 PM, Derik Kotze wrote:
> Hi Bernd
>
> Thanks again for the help. I did contact the translation team (on the
> mail list, hope that is the way to go) but did not get any response yet.

as this is a community of people who do it mostly in their spare-time
some replies may take a while. otherwise: as SPAM is still a problem any
(private) email-address might be inactive or filtered so you can't
expect a recipient to notice a mail.

> I will GLADLY like to contribute to the typo3 community if I can help in
> any way (with my limited knowledge :).
>
> I've managed to find the files you are talking about (via ftp) but now I
> don't know what to do with it? I also found llxmltranslate (the
> extension) but after I installed it I cannot seem to find it under
> loaded extensions in EM (is it suppose to show up?). And if it is
> installed correctly how do I go about using it? (Sorry for all the
> questions I am really new to all of this and am learning as I go. Thanks
> for your patients).

I've never worked with llxmltranslate (as I use languages, which are
mostly complete in translation :-S )
I would think: after installation of the extension there should be a new
BE-Module (for admins only?) which handles the locallang-files. As the
handling of translations is changed in TYPO3 4.6 the module / the
extension might be broken in 4.6. It should be working in 4.5.
since 4.6 the new way for translation should be the
pootle-translation-server. so it might take some time to get
translations into TYPO3 (transfer just once a day, and of course the
need of configuration of a new language/ a new extension on the
pootle-server by an admin, which is not always available).

as you now have worked into the subject:
which information did you missed at the start?
which information are neccessary for a beginner to start translations?
can you fill in the neded information into the TYPO3-wiki so others can
have an easier start?
or is the wiki the wrong place? should this information be shown at
another place?

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html