[TYPO3-english] How to change Language?

Bernd Wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Wed Jan 25 12:43:03 CET 2012

On 01/25/2012 12:24 PM, Derik Kotze wrote:
> Hi
>
> Our site is in Afrikaans . The problem is that some base extensions (for
> example the calender, frontend registering etc.) are still in the
> default language - English. How can I change this to a different
> language (afrikaans).

first step (often forgotten):
select your language in the EM -> translation handling and get
localizations for installed extension.

if your language is not available or yet not supported in your installed
extensions you may provide the extension-author/TYPO3 with matching
translations:
join the appropriate translation-group
include extensions for translation which you need and which are not
available yet

a faster solution may be to translate the neccessary texts in your
typoscript:
e.g.:
plugin.tx_extension_pi1._LOCAL_LANG.de.textlabel = neuer Text
plugin.tx_extension_pi1._LOCAL_LANG.fr.textlabel = nouveau texte
plugin.tx_extension_pi1._LOCAL_LANG.af.textlabel = nuwe teks

or modify the locallang-file(s) of the extension (!!!this file(s) will
be overwritten on the next extension-update!!!).

bad solution: use localized template-files, so some extension handle
translation this way.

if you translate all / a lot of texts of an extension you may share it
with the community:
contact the extension-author to include your translation, so you will
not loose them with the next extension-update.

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html
(don't ask what TYPO3 can do for you, ask what you can do for TYPO3)