[TYPO3-english] spammers beating captcha

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 22 08:10:22 CET 2012

Hi,

On 21-1-2012 22:38, Simon Child wrote:
> Today I have had several spam comments posted, so it seems they are beating
> the captcha (or entering it manually? but if so unusually persistent to try
> it a dozen times or more).

 From tests with a few non-TYPO3 projects it seems that "they" have
found the easiest way around CAPTCHAs: humans. Luckily this also means
that there is weakness: the internet access for these people uses their
normal IP addresses.

This was the way for the Honeypot Project [1] to start fighting the
human spambots.

The extension http:BL Blocking (mh_httpbl) [2] implements this for TYPO3
pages.
My experience is that you can't rely on either a CAPTCHA or IP blocking,
but the combination of these two has blocked form spammers successfully
for me.

[1] http://www.projecthoneypot.org/
[2] http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/mh_httpbl/current/

--