[TYPO3-english] spammers beating captcha

Simon Child simon at srchild.com
Sat Jan 21 22:38:10 CET 2012

I'm using extensions captcha 1.1.1 with comments 1.5.4 and tt_news 3.1.0

Today I have had several spam comments posted, so it seems they are beating
the captcha (or entering it manually? but if so unusually persistent to try
it a dozen times or more).

The comments are not appearing on the site because I have it set to send all
comments to me for moderation, so they aren't getting the encouragement of
seeing their postings appearing, yet they continue trying in what appears
may be an automated way.

Is captcha 1.1.1 known to be commonly beatable by spammers and I should give
up on it?

(I can't use sr_freecap because that needs PHP 5.3 and my server uses 5.2)

Thanks

Simon Child