[TYPO3-english] Read-only MySQL user?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 6 07:12:40 CET 2012

Hi,

On 6-1-2012 3:35, yanagik317 at netscape.net wrote:
> Has anyone tried creating a MySQL user that can only select from tables
[...]
> This is because I'm trying to see what could be done to minimize
> downtime while upgrading. We're planning on duplicating the production
> database and then running upgrade on it, which will then be the new
> production. While doing all this, it would be nice if the entire site
> didn't have to go down entirely.

During an upgrade this should be possible. You have the situation that
the site is running for a while and the caching tables should be
(almost) entirely filled with the contents it should cache. You already
have a site which is mainly read-only.

If you first run a trial upgrade on a copy to document exactly what you
need to do during the actual upgrade then you have the time to fix
issues you might encounter (configuration or template changes in
extensions, ...).

During the actual upgrade you could probably run a read-only version for
a short time while preparing a copy with the upgrade. Switch databases
and files (upgraded extensions, templates, cleaned temporary
directories, etc.) and you should be able to switch to an upgraded
version in a very short time.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.