[TYPO3-english] Reload/Refresh Page Content Without Reloading Page

Philipp Gampe typo3.lists at philippgampe.info
Tue Jan 3 18:35:00 CET 2012

Hi Scotty C,

Scotty C wrote:

> 1.) TypeNum - I've read about people doing it but no steps on "how"

A template can have multiple PAGE objects which have a typeNum as unique
property.

so page = PAGE defaults do page.typeNum = 0.

Each page also has copy of the config. section at page.config.

Of course page is only a name. You can write

hello = PAGE
hello.typeNum = 10
hello.10 = TEXT
hello.10.value = Hello World!

now call you page on http://example.org/?type=10.

This way you can use many different templates on the same page. The are only
distinguished by there &type=xxx parameter in the URL.

> 2.) iFrames - easy to do but I hear that's messy when it comes to SEO
It should not be used any more, but you integrate it with those different
page templates from above. That what it was invented for ;)

> 3.) AJAX - again, easy to do but I don't know how to integrate into TYPO3
> template

Well, the question is independent of TYPO3. What you need to do is, to fetch
the content of the &type=xyz URL and insert it into your page + maybe
deleting some nodes inside your DOM.

> I've found a German tutorial here:
> http://www.interaktionsdesigner.de/2008/12/12/typo3-seiten-dynamisch-
nachladen-mit-jquery/
> ... but Google Translate doesn't do a good enough job for me to understand
> as it appears that the code is in pieces. What I'm hoping for is advice on
> which option is best, and then a complete step by step on how to implement
> with TYPO3.

Well that tutorial explains it step by step. The first part is about how to
use typeNum and different PAGE objects in one template (just what I did
above), the second part is an introduction to AJAX content reloading (as
replacement for the menu).
This second part is not related to TYPO3 at all as TYPO3 is done as soon as
it has rendered the template.

So just search the web for ajax page reload and you should find useful
information.

Best regards
--
Philipp Gampe – PGP-Key 0AD96065