[TYPO3-english] Reload/Refresh Page Content Without Reloading Page

Scotty C superscotty19 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 08:56:27 CET 2012

Hi everyone,

After about 6 hours searching, I'm turning the wisdom of the all-knowing list :-)

I want to jazz up my web site, and one of the things that I thought would be cool would be to have the template independent of the content. That is to say, when a menu item is clicked, the site doesn't reload but rather loads the content without a full site reload. My goal is to have a "live wallpaper" in the background while the rest of the site is clickable (kind of like an android tablet). I know of 3 ways to do this:

1.) TypeNum - I've read about people doing it but no steps on "how"
2.) iFrames - easy to do but I hear that's messy when it comes to SEO
3.) AJAX - again, easy to do but I don't know how to integrate into TYPO3 template

The question seems to have been asked once before but with no TYPO3 connection: http://community.xajax-project.org/topic/8226/need-help-getting-started-with-xajax-and-typo3-avoid-page-refresh/

I've found a German tutorial here: http://www.interaktionsdesigner.de/2008/12/12/typo3-seiten-dynamisch-nachladen-mit-jquery/ ... but Google Translate doesn't do a good enough job for me to understand as it appears that the code is in pieces. What I'm hoping for is advice on which option is best, and then a complete step by step on how to implement with TYPO3.

Thanks in advance!
-Scott.