[TYPO3-english] Last TYPO3 version without fluid/extbase

Tonix (Antonio Nati) tonix at interazioni.it
Sun Dec 23 16:27:08 CET 2012

Il 23/12/2012 03:02, Andi ha scritto:
> Hi Tonino
>
> Nobody is hindering you or your company to branch TYPO3 and bring up a TYPO3 4.6 ala Tonino.
>
> If this branch is soon much more stable, flexible and of course much more customer friendly than the original TYPO3 or even NEOS than I am sure many people and developers will switch to it as they are used to the Current TYPO3 way.
>
> The longer it will take to make it to this point in comparison to bring up 6.0 to a be a customer friendly product will make the difference on how many developers will start using extbase fluid and ddd approaches and how many will stay with what they have learned since TYPO3 is existing.
>
> Take powermail as a small piece of code which currently has the same "branching" I would say. Many don't like the 2.0 branch and many developers and agencies and even extension developers, like the one from "org" or quick-shop, are still building on the Latest release BEFORE 2.0 because this is simply working instantly.
>
> It is IMHO only a time factor.
>
> Sit down with your team/company over the next 2/3 weeks and refactor 4.6 to bring it up to this point and I am pretty sure you will be successful in having most of the developers and customers behind you. Use the same license. Promote it with your company and those who will join. Be the change you wanna see in TYPO3.
>
> I am sure During these 3 weeks not much will happen in NEOS and 6.0 as most devs also like to have their holiday.
>
> If you can't do this, or can't spent your time for this, than I doubt that you will be ever successful in creating a 4.6 Version which will be better and used lateron by a wider audience than the one of 6.0. Even this version has so many problems for devs and endusers and is often simply unusable!
>
> It will be like a race between to Teams :-). Take the chance of the next 20 days and you are all set! By the way many TYPO3 developers in countries like India and mostly non- christian countries like Thailand etc will have normal working days next week.
>
> So if you could start only after the holidays simply forget the idea and instead put all power of your team/company in learning those new TYPO3 ways or simply switch like more and more do to i.e. drupal and other products on the market - also here you would need to invest in learning new methods in doing things.

Andi,

it would be impossible to make something in a few days. Just planning
something would take months.

At the moment I'm too small and too busy with my work to make anything
on TYPO3.

In this moment I'm delivering a big project (for my dimensions), in
which I'm acting this way.

  * any business logic is contained in indipendent libraries
    (indipendent from any CMS)
  * any new framework is in indipendent libraries when possible, and in
    TYPO3 dipendent libraries when cannot be avoided.
  * when I can, I write an indipendent library and avoid TYPO3 libraries.

When the project will be finished (about six months), We'll evaluate if
to freeze it on TYPO3 4.6.x and continue this way (I've a long list of
things to improve) or switch to another CMS.

In my opinion, continuing on TYPO3 is a big problem because of TYPO3
license.
With BSD style license, big and small development companies could adopt
TYPO3 for active development, but with the actual license companies
which invest on software cannot use it, beacuse it automatically forces
your code to be free,

Some companies live writing application software to be sold, and they
must mantain the property and secrecy of the code, for selling it.
Of course they would adopt a CMS or presentation layer which helps their
development, but if this CMS forces them to give away the sources for
free, of course they will prefer to write internally a small CMS or
adopt a BSD licensed framework, or pay for using a commercial one, which
will let them live of their work.

As example, FreeBSD is completely free, and anyone can use it without
any limit.
So big companies which develop applications for selling and need changes
in FreeBSD core develope those changes and put them in the mainstream
for free, or give money to the community for the work, while mantaining
their application code reserved. So, the core of FreeBSD is always
better, while each company is free to have his market on the application
which is using FreeBSD (and each part concentrates on his specific
development sector).

In some cases, TYPO3 is just an interface for the product, and it is not
acceptable for a company that their work should be released free just
because the interface is free. A company works for months on logic of
application, and that is the value, not the interface.

For this reason TYPO3 (as well as other CMS) will not be used for
products in which company invest heavily in development. Make TYPO3 4.6
free (like BSD), and a lot of development company will not build an
internal front-end, but will use TYPO3 and will want to help TYPO3 to grow.

We'll have time to see how things evolve...

Happy Xmas (and happy season holiday for not christians :-) ).

Tonino

> Andi
>
> Sent from Andi's iPhone
>
> On Dec 23, 2012, at 3:35, "Tonix (Antonio Nati)" <tonix at interazioni.it> wrote:
>
>> Il 21/12/2012 18:22, Philipp Gampe ha scritto:
>>> Hi Tonix,

>>> Impossible due to the license ;)
>> TYPO3 foundation is the owner of license, so could change it.
>>
>> It would be great if TYPO3 4.6 could be released under a BSD license, giving us freedom to continue in a different way.
>>
>> As TYPO3 foundation does not push on it anymore, why not to open it completely?
>>

>>> Anyway, it would be cool if more experts would get their hands dirty and I
>>> really think that the development of TYPO3 CMS starts to accelerate again.
>>>
>>> If you want to have state-of-the-art technology from experts, then you
>>> should move on to Flow+Neos.
>> I don't have the minimal trust in extbase/fluid and what's based on them.
>>
>> Sorry, but in my opinion it is the contrary of DDD criterions and leading to nowhere.
>>
>> If typo3 4.6 is freed, then I'd be happy to work on it.
>>
>> Merry Christmas,
>>
>> Tonino
>>

>> --

         Inter at zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati
    http://www.interazioni.it      tonix at interazioni.it