[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 Customer Feedback Initiative

Patrick Lobacher plobacher at n-o-g.de
Sat Dec 22 08:49:10 CET 2012

Tonix (Antonio Nati) schrieb:
> Honestly I have problems understanding the goal of this page, and why a
> development frameworks should speak to end users, which will never use
> directly the framework.

The developer on the one side and the customer on the other side are
tied to each other in a way which is sometimes difficult to discover.

The developer can develop software not one customer will ever use it,
because he do not need it.
And the customer can choose every other software for reasons so the
developer has nothing to give to him.
So there should be a balanced communication between them to find out if
the "product" the developer has created fits the needs the customer have.

I believe that most software development has one big reason at the end
(besides of many others of course) - the developer wants someone (even
himself) to use it. And if I want someone to do anything I have to
communicate to this person - because this person is the customer.
As a developer you want to create a solution or solve a problem - for
someone who has this problem and this is again the customer.

Have you ever worked in a company where the developer decide what the
customer wants to have? What is the result? You draw a picture of the
needs of somebody you do not even know. Normally this is done by project
managers or key accountants or somebody who talks a lot with the
customer to get famliar with his world. And this process has nothing to
do with a concrete CMS or software at all. BUT - at the end, a solution
must be found and we - the TYPO3 community - want, that our great ECMS
TYPO3 is the answer for most of the customers enterprise wishes in terms
of CMS.

So I don't say that TYPO3 doesn't listen to their customers (because it
  already fits to many usecases a customer might have) but I say we have
to increase the amount of listing because this is crucial - if more and
more customer will leave TYPO3 for other products we will lose in many
ways too at the end.

And we shouldn't be that arrogant at the end that we do not realize that
there is a huge amount of really great solutions right and left of TYPO3
coming up and it is a question of time that
customer/agencies/freelancers discover them and - compare them to the
system they use/love/pay for/develop for/...

So there is nothing wrong to talk to you target group :-)
Not more and not less is the intention of the wiki page. It should be a
starting point to get in touch with the customers of TYPO3 to help to
long-term improve the system.

Bye
Patrick