[TYPO3-english] Building a RESTful API with TYPO3?

Christian Weiske christian.weiske at netresearch.de
Fri Dec 21 08:38:39 CET 2012

Hello Roland,

> does it make sense to try to make a RESTful API based on TYPO3,
> Extbase, EXT:realurl & Co?
Sure. If TYPO3 helps you accessing your data, or you already have TYPO3
extensions providing code to access the data easily, then I'd to it.

> i tried to but ended up with something i would not call RESTful - not
> a bit! ;-)
You didn't explain what you think RESTful is and why your approach
didn't work.

> what would be your approach if you already had a (big) TYPO3 website
> with a lot of data that should now also be accessible via RESTful API?

I'd register an eID for my some_api extension to have as little as
possible TYPO3 processing in the way. Now you've got your base URL and
can do whatever you want:

http://host/?eID=some_api&fetch=products
http://host/?eID=some_api&fetch=product&id=1
http://host/?eID=some_api&fetch=otherdata

etc.

--
Regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian Weiske

-= Geeking around in the name of science since 1982 =-