[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 CMS 6.0 Category

Loek Hilgersom loek at netcoop.nl
Thu Dec 6 16:27:51 CET 2012

Hi Christian,

On 06-12-12 15:43, Christian Tauscher wrote:

> systemrecord "category"
>
> You can Create them, delete, edit even watch them in BE, but what the
> heck....
>
> Even the core  does not use them....
>
> What ist the meaning of this? Could't find a place where this kind of
> Record is needed.

It's a feature waiting for a problem to solve, or a surprise waiting to be
unpacked, or ehm, an accident waiting to happen!

But seriously: if you ever made complex site with many different types of
content that is all related in some way you'll easily find a purpose for this.
You would have a news plugin with its own category system, DAM, a calendar with
its own categories, a forum and whatever more you might have. You'll have a big
problem if you want to select for instance all news, documents and calendar
items for 1 specific subject, or e.g. belonging to 1 member group or
whatever.... you end up with 3, 4 or 5 category trees which you'd all have to
synchronize before the men in white coats come to take you away....

Having 1 central category system would solve that, now people just have to start
using it. You could also use it for categorizing e.g. tt_content and/or pages,
or fe_users or whatever, and extension authors can use it for their plugins.

Theoretically it doesn't have to be part of the core, but having in there gives
it some authority so I expect there's better chance extension authors will use
(and improve) this one instead of having five competing alternatives in TER.

Anyway, I see enough reasons for this being very, very useful, and I'm looking
forward to play around with it.

Loek