[TYPO3-english] EM 6.0: Unusuable for production sites?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Dec 5 10:42:57 CET 2012

Hi,

On 5-12-2012 9:07, André Spindler wrote:
> I know this is already discussed, but I think there are a lot of missing
> features in the EM which are not only important for developers:

Did you file issues for them on
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/issues ? And if you found
the issues, did you vote for them?

This is simply the only place where bug reports will not be forgotten.

> I think there MUST be done some improvements to the EM still in 6.0 if this
> version is intended to be used for production sites and is not only a
> interim solution for an improved 6.1.

No, the EM will be improved in bugfix releases (6.0.1, 6.0.2, etc.).

> Nevertheless it is no solution to keep the EM 4.5 alive with all it's mess.
> But as I have already read here in the list: Some features like the info
> view had to be removed because they were not stable yet. That's a failure in
> my opinion. If something is not ready, improve it and include it in the next
> release instead of cutting features away.

A missing feature is still better than something which is broken in a
way that it might damage your installation.

> I hope the new EM in 6.0 was no political decission, that had to be
> included, despite the fact i fit is ready or not...

No political decision :-) It was just that attempts to fix issues with
the EM from 4.5-4.7 took ages and often didn't have the results you
wanted. The best solution in those cases is to start from scratch.

The EM also had too much functionality that was not related to managing
extensions.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member