[TYPO3-english] EM 6.0: Unusuable for production sites?

André Spindler typo3 at andre-spindler.de
Wed Dec 5 09:07:03 CET 2012

Hello list,

I know this is already discussed, but I think there are a lot of missing
features in the EM which are not only important for developers:

1. Extension information:
Just to see author, requirements, ...
But that's the smallest problem here in this list

2. Extension upgrade function:
I don't mean importing of new versions of an existing extension. I mean the
update functions some extensions bring with themselves, like as tt_news,
seminars, caretaker_instance or static_info_tables. You make db upgrades
there or i.e. create the pgp keys for caretaker. Where is this feature now?
Or couldn't I just found it? If this function is missing, you can just throw
away caretaker and static_info_tables, as they couldn't be used then. And
you will run into trouble if you have to update db for new extensions by
hand. And not only developers want to do that...

3. Modified extensions:
This was still a problem mith the em in version 4.6. Not it is getting
worse.
I'm working in an internet agency and from time to time weg et new customers
who have already a running TYPO3 website. And we are asked to make
updates/upgrades of the TYPO3 core and the extensions. So it is important
for us to see wheter extensions have been modified by the former
developer/agancy or not. And I loved the EM 4.5. here as you saw modified
files of the extensions in the info view and directly in the updater. In
version 4.6. the modification warning was removed when updating. That was
ugly, but not a big problem as the info view was still available. And in
6.0? Please tell me how I can find out if an extension is still the original
version or i fit has been modified? If there isn't any solution for that,
this will mean that customers will have to pay for some extra days to make a
manual code check of all installed extensions. And that only because of the
fact some features have been removed from TYPO3 4.5 to 6.0.

I think there MUST be done some improvements to the EM still in 6.0 if this
version is intended to be used for production sites and is not only a
interim solution for an improved 6.1.

Nevertheless it is no solution to keep the EM 4.5 alive with all it's mess.
But as I have already read here in the list: Some features like the info
view had to be removed because they were not stable yet. That's a failure in
my opinion. If something is not ready, improve it and include it in the next
release instead of cutting features away. Or add it as an additional feature
as the EM (from 4.6) in 4.5.
I hope the new EM in 6.0 was no political decission, that had to be
included, despite the fact i fit is ready or not...

But I have to say that 6.0 is a big milestone and great work (mostly).
Although I couldn't migrate most of my websites because I use DAM (which has
to be refactured before) and gridelements a lot (which has also be
refactored as it partly became part of the core ;-).

Regards,
André

André Spindler
Schmidstraße 21 - 85399 Hallbergmoos