[TYPO3-english] Gridelements, semantic content and the right strategies

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Fri Aug 17 13:20:30 CEST 2012

Hi again,

Am 17.08.2012 09:57, schrieb Thomas Skierlo

> Now we have 8/2012. Take a look at the TER and look for the most popular
> extensions. Except the excellent news extension, which really has been
> migrated to ExtBase/Fluid,

it hasn't been migrated but done from scratch.

> the vast majority of other extensions with
> templated output does not use Extbase/Fluid (I am not talking about
> extensions which can color an otherwise white background green).

and the vast majority of extension is not usable.

some words do the fluid/extbase extensions. Those are widely used but
most of those don't make it to the TER because it wouldn't make sense
for the users. We in the agency write extbase extensions every day and
it wouldn't be manageable without extbase/fluid.

> Even
> check the latest version of Indexed_Search. Still uses good ol markers
> (the Fluid templates are still experimental, non documented and unusable).

true but others have been migrated to extbase/fluid already.

> You can't expect community developers to build extensions on
> ExtBase/Fluid without leaving the "marker position" yourself.

of course this is possible. And to be honest: indexed_search works the
way it is and having it fluid based is a lot of work to make it look the
same. So many people would say: where is the real improvment. therefore
the priority is not that high.

> Surely,
> all developers are encouraged to use the "new" foundation. But
> apparently they don't.

why do you think that? the authors with extensions in TER are not the
same who write extensions in their daily work. I have a lot of collegues
who have no extension in TER but a lot written for customers.

> A gain: A grid is part of the basics of a modern
> CMS. If a grid would be included in FE and BE, extension developers
> really would have a foundation for future work.

wrong. Integrators would have a foundation for future work and yes that
is important too.

> My investment in TV FCE is currently not in danger, since I can still
> use them. This invest will be totally lost when the day comes were old
> school markers are obsolete.

didn't know that TV has something in common with markers.

> There will never be a TemplaVoila for
> Fluid.

If someone develops it.

> Sticking to 4.5LTS is no real long term solution. You either
> loose contact to new developement or you lose everything after EOL.

the LTS is not for developers to get a safe zone without learning new
stuff for 3 years but to have a stable branch for customers.

> avoid this, integrators like me try to use the sophisticated methods
> promoted over years to be ready when day-x comes.

day-x is all the time as out there is a loooot more. If you are doing
websites + html + css, ...., I doubt that the biggest part of knowledge
is inside the cms but currently at the frontend side. CSS3, lots of cool
plugins, awesome things, ...

> So they start with
> FLUIDTEMPLATE, which is really fun to work with. But this is limited to
> the page layout. TYPO3 has nothing to offer for the content.

backend layouts have been the first step but yes more in that direction
wouldn't be bad.

> TYPO3 is
> kind of partly pregnant with Fluid.

fluid is by far more than the template engine for pages. :)

> Just imagine how it would be if a severe security issue would be found
> in Ext.gridelements.

as said already: This is not a problem at all as someone wants to do the
needed work.

> Anyhow. My major question has been answered. The official way to handle
> content in August 2012 is marker based.

wrong, it is fluid as template engine.

> How can I participate in the gridelements project? Can I just join the
> team via Forge or is there a better way?

just join via forge, contact one of the authors directly or at a TYPO3
camp, meet all the TYPO3 guys and girl at one of those awesome events
like the T3CON. Let's drink a beer and discuss possible features there.

TYPO3 is still trendy ;)

Georg