[TYPO3-english] Gridelements, semantic content and the right strategies

Thomas Skierlo pubtsk1 at pix-pro.eu
Fri Aug 17 10:40:25 CEST 2012

Hi Georg,

Am 17.08.2012 06:25, schrieb Georg Ringer:
> In current 6.0 (check out the master or an alpha version) FAL Is already
> included and can be well tested.
>
> I don't know the detailed roadmap to get DAM fit for fal but this will
> also be done.
Except some service work for existing customers I stopped my commercial
work 4 month ago to learn about new ways to do things in TYPO3. To do so
I am building a new website on my local development server. Currently
I'm doing this with version 4.7.3 and a minimalistic set of installed
extensions (currently the only external one is gridelements) . Do you
think that I should move to 6.0 now? Is it stable enough for further
moves into the grid? Will 6.0 offer better scaffolding?
>> FLUIDTEMPLATE is a good first step, since
>> it uses Fluid, which gridelements does not. For me, gridelements
>> functionallity is currently the biggest missing link in TYPO3.
> might be true for many others but just one thought: Having something as
> sysext in the core means that it has to fully work with *all* features
> of the core. This means e.g. workspaces/version/mulitlanguage in every
> kind of setup, ...
Exactly that is currently a major problem of gridelements. One more
reason to get it (or something similar) closer to the core. The grid
must be a foundation class.

> I am not sure if this is already done and this can also only be achieved
> if many people are using the extension, report bugs, try to fix those or
> help others doing so.
Unless there is a strong commitment or a strategy for including
gridelements (or functionallity like that) as a system extension, people
will hesitate to join development
> true. and gridelements is also not required for big clients/websites
> either.
I agree for the time being. Within the next two years more websites will
be visited by mobile devices than PC based browsers. I personally
believe that it will happen earlier. Now try to build up a responsive
website with a marker based template. Either one page will look like the
other or the layout will be TV based. Fluid will be a dead cow until
it's usable without external community extensions or writing own ones.