[TYPO3-english] Gridelements, semantic content and the right strategies

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Fri Aug 17 06:25:52 CEST 2012

Hi,

Am 16.08.2012 20:24, schrieb Thomas Skierlo:
> ok, I understand. Those projects may or may not find their way into the
> core or a system extension. Same happened to DAM-like features, which
> were announced for 4.7 as well, if I remember it right. What should I do
> if I need DAM now.

It wouldn't have been good to have FAL for 4.7 as it just wasn't ready
and wouldn't have make you happy.

> Install it as a community extension, fill it with
> data and notice at the release of 6.1 that DAM-like features are
> included now into the file module - in an incompatible way to old DAM
> records?

In current 6.0 (check out the master or an alpha version) FAL Is already
included and can be well tested.

I don't know the detailed roadmap to get DAM fit for fal but this will
also be done.

>>> According to some messages from the Forge
>>> issue tracker of gridelements it even might slide into the core -- as a
>>> sysext. For me, this impression was the major reason to use this
>>> extension.

I don't need gridelements currently, have it only tested in once and I
put my time into things I need more or which I would like to have better
for others. E.g. for 6.0 I and otheres renewed the page module, sysext
sys_note is renewed, ...

> A lightweight core is perfect, but it must be
> accompanied by robust system extensions for all basic scaffolding.

absolutly true.

> I strongly believe that
> nobody needs TYPO3 6.0 until a robust tool is available for the basic
> templating 3.0 out of the box.

I doubt that. You should check out the features of 6.0 first.

> FLUIDTEMPLATE is a good first step, since
> it uses Fluid, which gridelements does not. For me, gridelements
> functionallity is currently the biggest missing link in TYPO3.

might be true for many others but just one thought: Having something as
sysext in the core means that it has to fully work with *all* features
of the core. This means e.g. workspaces/version/mulitlanguage in every
kind of setup, ...

I am not sure if this is already done and this can also only be achieved
if many people are using the extension, report bugs, try to fix those or
help others doing so.

> A major ECMS can not depend on community extensions only.

true. and gridelements is also not required for big clients/websites
either. We have even used TYPO3 once without any frontend needed.

Georg