[TYPO3-english] Gridelements, semantic content and the right strategies

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Aug 16 22:14:46 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 16-8-2012 20:46, Thomas Skierlo wrote:
> Imagine both FLUIDTEMPLATE and Gridelements (the latter with Fluid
> support) as system extensions. If the community builds a better
> templating system, it's easy to uninstall the system extensions and use
> to community stuff.

Fluid was included because it is the templating system which is used in
<some-new-name> (aka Phoenix). Part of the transition path is to
implement functionality of both sides in the other product.

But, any community extension can provide a new templating system, a new
type of content element, a new anything. System extensions are also
extensions; the only difference is that they are shipped with the core
and they are installed in a different location.

> Now reverse your thinking. There are no system extensions and you must
> rely on "gridelements" and/or "FED/Flux", as pure community extensions.
> You invest hell of a time to convert all of your stuff to the new
> extension standard - and notice 6 month later that further devolopment
> has been stopped.

Then your investment represents a value to you. You want to keep that
investment. You want to keep the development (or at least maintenance)
going on. You offer to help with the development, you hire people to
continue development or you take over the extension.
This is reality. Dam_frontend was removed from TER due to a security
issue and the author didn't respond to mails from the security team. A
group stepped forward and wanted to continue development. A month or so
later a new version was uploaded to TER.

> That's the reason why the community (including myself) needs some
> guidance. With a clear and precise statement, like - "we will favour
> gridelements, because it covers very basic functionallity" I would be
> encouraged to participate in the projekt. Without any commitment I'd
> rather spend my time driving in circles with my motorbike :-)

Then get out your helmet and jump on your bike :-) You won't get such a
statement because the Core Team doesn't favour any community extension
over another. The core provides a ###marker### mechanism and that
provides a basic functionality to map content to parts in a template.
Community extensions make it easier to map.

The future CMS (currently developed as Phoenix) uses Fluid as templating
engine. If you use that you can use that knowledge in the future if you
eventually move to that future CMS. You can also be sure that Fluid will
not be removed from the TYPO3 core.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member