[TYPO3-english] Gridelements, semantic content and the right strategies

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Aug 16 21:40:40 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 16-8-2012 20:01, Martin Bless wrote:
>> We try to make the core more lightweight.
>
> A perfect goal, I think. If functionality can be moved to sysexts or
> even normal extensions that's great. We should separate that from the
> question who is maintaining those extensions.

Making the core more lightweight does not mix well with adding
functionality like gridelements to it.
Moving things to system extensions is usually done to make functionality
optional and to move it out of the way when it's not needed (e.g. the
code needed for workspaces and versioning is slowing down the system a
bit and is only executed if those system extensions are loaded).

The question of maintenance is also clear: system extensions are part of
the core and are maintained by the Core Team; other extensions are
maintained by others.

> IMHO: If the core team is keeping those extensions in sync with the
> core we're all better off. If the core team looses sight of those
> extensions there'll be a disaster sooner or later.

That depends. The people who use the extensions usually want that it
keeps working. Those people can offer to help the extension maintainer
(help in the widest sense of the word) to keep it working.

> We must make sure that important functionality is working and up to
> date.

Unfortunately for 10 people there are 10 different things "important
functionality". The Core Team can only do a limited amount of work and
maintaining loads of extensions is simply not possible.

Maintaining an LTS version helps to keep websites running for years even
if the authors of the extensions which were used do not maintain their
extensions.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member