[TYPO3-english] Gridelements, semantic content and the right strategies

Thomas Skierlo pubtsk1 at pix-pro.eu
Thu Aug 16 20:46:26 CEST 2012

Hi Martin,

Am 16.08.2012 20:01, schrieb Martin Bless:
> Hi Jigal,
>
>> We try to make the core more lightweight.
> A perfect goal, I think. If functionality can be moved to sysexts or
> even normal extensions that's great. We should separate that from the
> question who is maintaining those extensions.
Imagine both FLUIDTEMPLATE and Gridelements (the latter with Fluid
support) as system extensions. If the community builds a better
templating system, it's easy to uninstall the system extensions and use
to community stuff.

Now reverse your thinking. There are no system extensions and you must
rely on "gridelements" and/or "FED/Flux", as pure community extensions.
You invest hell of a time to convert all of your stuff to the new
extension standard - and notice 6 month later that further devolopment
has been stopped.

That's the reason why the community (including myself) needs some
guidance. With a clear and precise statement, like - "we will favour
gridelements, because it covers very basic functionallity" I would be
encouraged to participate in the projekt. Without any commitment I'd
rather spend my time driving in circles with my motorbike :-)

> IMHO: If the core team is keeping those extensions in sync with the
> core we're all better off. If the core team looses sight of those
> extensions there'll be a disaster sooner or later.
>
> We must make sure that important functionality is working and up to
> date.
Thumps up!!