[TYPO3-english] Gridelements, semantic content and the right strategies

Thomas Skierlo pubtsk1 at pix-pro.eu
Thu Aug 16 20:24:47 CEST 2012

Am 16.08.2012 17:18, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> Hi,
>
> On 14-8-2012 13:22, Thomas Skierlo wrote:
>> On Forge Gridelements is listed under the TYPO3 4.7 tab. This implies a
>> tight relation to the core.
>
> It only implies that there have been plans to do something with that
> in the core. There is also "Dashboard" under 4.7 and "Semantic
> (S.C.O.T.T.Y.)", and nothing of those features made it in 4.7.

ok, I understand. Those projects may or may not find their way into the
core or a system extension. Same happened to DAM-like features, which
were announced for 4.7 as well, if I remember it right. What should I do
if I need DAM now. Install it as a community extension, fill it with
data and notice at the release of 6.1 that DAM-like features are
included now into the file module - in an incompatible way to old DAM
records?
>> According to some messages from the Forge
>> issue tracker of gridelements it even might slide into the core -- as a
>> sysext. For me, this impression was the major reason to use this
>> extension.
>
> I wouldn't put my money on that. We try to make the core more
> lightweight. It has to provide the basic functionality, the foundation
> for something like gridelements.
> There is support for ###markers### in the core, but tools to make it
> easier to use (automaketemplate, TemplaVoilà, ...) are extensions.
> Fluid is in the core to provide basic support of fluid templates, but
> all kinds of applications will be provided by extensions.

Marker based templates might have been an ECMS feature in the late 90's,
but they aren't today. A lightweight core is perfect, but it must be
accompanied by robust system extensions for all basic scaffolding.
Without this functionallity TYPO3 might be a development framework, like
FLOW3, but definitely is neither an ECMS nor a CMS. I'm currently busy
implementing Twitter Bootstrap into my templates. Try to imagine what
this would mean in terms of markers. No chance. I strongly believe that
nobody needs TYPO3 6.0 until a robust tool is available for the basic
templating 3.0 out of the box. FLUIDTEMPLATE is a good first step, since
it uses Fluid, which gridelements does not. For me, gridelements
functionallity is currently the biggest missing link in TYPO3.

A major ECMS can not depend on community extensions only.
>> What I am missing is any kind of information about the RIGHT strategy
>> for future TYPO3 evolution. Is there any?
>
> The future... how much we would like to know what the future will
> bring us! The strategy which is clearly communicated is that the
> feature set of TYPO3 and the future CMS (<some-new-name>, currently
> known as Phoenix) will converse. This means that technologies
> developed for either one can and very likely will be included in the
> other. FLOW3 technology is included in TYPO3 as Extbase, the new
> logging API in 6.0 is a good candidate for inclusion in some form in
> <some-new-name>.
You are not a polititian, are you ? :-)