[TYPO3-english] Gridelements, semantic content and the right strategies

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Aug 16 17:18:13 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 14-8-2012 13:22, Thomas Skierlo wrote:
> On Forge Gridelements is listed under the TYPO3 4.7 tab. This implies a
> tight relation to the core.

It only implies that there have been plans to do something with that in
the core. There is also "Dashboard" under 4.7 and "Semantic
(S.C.O.T.T.Y.)", and nothing of those features made it in 4.7.

> According to some messages from the Forge
> issue tracker of gridelements it even might slide into the core -- as a
> sysext. For me, this impression was the major reason to use this extension.

I wouldn't put my money on that. We try to make the core more
lightweight. It has to provide the basic functionality, the foundation
for something like gridelements.
There is support for ###markers### in the core, but tools to make it
easier to use (automaketemplate, TemplaVoilà, ...) are extensions.
Fluid is in the core to provide basic support of fluid templates, but
all kinds of applications will be provided by extensions.

> What I am missing is any kind of information about the RIGHT strategy
> for future TYPO3 evolution. Is there any?

The future... how much we would like to know what the future will bring
us! The strategy which is clearly communicated is that the feature set
of TYPO3 and the future CMS (<some-new-name>, currently known as
Phoenix) will converse. This means that technologies developed for
either one can and very likely will be included in the other. FLOW3
technology is included in TYPO3 as Extbase, the new logging API in 6.0
is a good candidate for inclusion in some form in <some-new-name>.

> Besides the more technical questions from above I am interested in
> strategies -- and I truly believe that I'm not the only one. I am not
> talking about strategies for extension developers, I mean strategies for
> TYPO3 integrators.

TYPO3 is a community driven project. New features arise for various
reasons: someone feels like it to develop something, an organisation
needs something and decides to sponsor the development, users file
feature requests (and you can now vote for bugs/features in forge!), etc.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!