[TYPO3-english] Gridelements, semantic content and the right strategies

Thomas Skierlo pubtsk1 at pix-pro.eu
Thu Aug 16 10:47:39 CEST 2012

Hi Dominic,

thanks a lot for your answer. When I decided for my new templating
toolkit a couple of days ago I had a short look at the FED/Flux
extensions too. My basic idea was to stay as close to the core as
possible, at least when it comes to basic page layouts and subgrid
handling (meaning structural FCE, not functional ones). Everybody
expects to find this very basic functionality in an ECMS.

The page templates can easily be handled by FLUIDTEMPLATE -- only
out-of-the-box Fluid needed. Took me less than 3 hours to migrate this
part of TV to Fluid. I like the powerful control structures of Fluid,
especially the awareness of content in the neighborhood. I disliked the
absence of basic TYPO3 constants and system settings in the View
component. Found no other way as passing them as variables (which
works). Maybe they are available without passing them, but I could not
find any hint in the rather poor documentation (all documentation
targets mainly on Ext. developers -- which definitely are not the vast
majority of TYPO3 users).

Initially I thought that I could use FLUIDTEMPLATE - being listed as a
regular Content Object on tsref - for Subgrid Elements too (with or
without Ext. Gridelements), but I found no way to do so (maybe there is
one, but nobody shares the information).

After evaluating Gridelements for a couple of days I'm not satisfied at
all. The functionality is a perfect match to a very early version of TV.
Same old-school techniques. The problem I described in my first post is
a very basic one -- and I spent more than 30 hours without finding a
solution (maybe because of my lack of advanced TS knowledge). On the
other hand Gridelements integrates nicely into the BE.

Then I thought about the next alternative. Building my own extension for
fluid based FCE. It would allow access to all my constants and system
parameters and I could use pure Fluid when it comes to layout. My next
thought was: If that's the way to go, TYPO3 will be gone soon. I could
imagine to use my own extension for functional stuff, like custom FCEs,
but not for basic grid layout and structure. There must be a "Core" way
to solve this very basic task. But there isn't. The only official method
still uses markers.

Without knowing it I think that FED/Flux uses this very way. Own
functionality in two own namespaces, plus the fluid default NS. The
concept is brilliant. A kind of Fluid parser which brings it's own view
helpers. And exactly this might be a problem later, when more and more
standard Fluid view helpers become available offering the very same
functionality. You either are dependent on FED/Flux forever, or you have
to redo all the work when TYPO3 finally offers it's own solution for
Fluid based templating.

Again, FED/Flux look perfect for my current problems, and maybe I will
decide to use it.

Is it possible to use only the FCE/Content part? Fluidtemplate for the
page layout, FED/Flux for the subgrids and FCE. Or will it replace
Fluidtemplate? Searching for FED/Flux on Google I found some posts about
FED/Flux with Gridelements? What would be the ideal combination of
extensions for a future prove decision? How would core-people (if
available) answer this question?

Again, thank you for your help,

Thomas