[TYPO3-english] Gridelements, semantic content and the right strategies

Domi djgarms at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 21:01:37 CEST 2012

Hi Thomas,

I fully understand your questioning, for me lot of similar questions
came up over some time ago. One of the main problems: TYPO3 will always
give you many strategies and many ways to solve a problem.

I am still wondering about the gridelements extension a lot, because it
actually was at the TYPO3 4.6 as sysextension project already. And it
never made its way through, even not in 4.7. The documentation lacks and
you need to have seeing talents, if you want to realise more advanced
configurations. There comes a need of flexform, loads of typoscript,
backend CE and confusing ways of how to implement them.

I finally switched to a very comfortable way using flux and fed, both
very good maintained extensions and highly under development. And they
make use of gridelements functionality like drag 'n drop.

What works very good and nice is using the new FCE concept of fed. There
flexform, typoscript and backend CE gets merged into one single file:
HTML. With the flux notation in your html file you can do everything
what you did already in flexform, but instead of a highly nested XML
file, just one single line of html code with some parameters.

Check out the content element section:
http://fedext.net/features/content-elements/explanation.html

In the beginning its bit of learning the new semantic of flux, but its
just awesome and fast, you build complex customizable FCEs in minutes of
time.

So maybe check this out, I use it and highly recommend the fluid way of
life - in combination of flux and fed. In fed I still only use the FCE
concept, which is exactly what you are looking for - it replaces the TV
FCE with way more comfort.

Cheers
Dominic