[TYPO3-english] Testing screen size

Mark Boland mark.boland at boland.de
Wed Aug 8 00:21:16 CEST 2012

Hi Jim,

you can get the exact screen and/or window size with javascript and post them back. Or you can determine at least the class of device by examining the browser string and searching for "mobile" or "iphone" etc. But as these strings multiply with every new type of device, screen size and aspect ratio that is brought to market you will soon end up with a lot of code. Another problem is that screen size and window size might not be the ones you want to use (ever tried a full screen website with a 30" 2560x1680 px screen?).

Try to let the content "flow" or use a responsive design (automatically adapting with CSS media queries, excellent Grid frameworks available). Don't rely on the screen size. Really. Don't.

Mark Boland