[TYPO3-english] protect (and still use) font folder

bernd wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Thu Apr 5 00:41:13 CEST 2012

Am Wed, 04 Apr 2012 10:07:17 +0300 schrieb Katja Lampela:

> Hi,
> okay, thank you Björn for this information.
>
> 4.4.2012 9:32, Björn Pedersen kirjoitti:
>> On 04.04.2012 07:55, Katja Lampela wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In one of my client's site they use @font-face method and the font
>>> files need to be protected from download.
>>>
>>> Using the simplest method, .htaccess+.htpasswd doesn't work, since the
>>> fonts can't be used at all without logging in.
>>>
>>> How would you recommend I do this?
>>> I have this link/method, but it seems a bit complicated:
>>> http://subjectiveobject.com/2009/10/28/securing-font-face/
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> well, to use the font it needs to be downloaded to the client. There is
>> no way around that. You may make it harder to save this font file to
>> disk, but you can not prevent it fully. The only way would be to render
>> everything as images, but that is no real solution as well.
>>
>> So you can make it harder as done in your link by going trough some php
>> file loader, but thats all you can do.
>>
>> Björn

you may use "cufon".
not as simple as @font-face, but possible:
it renders all text on the fly into canvas-graphics with the desired
font, the original font-file does not need to be accessible, so something
like a dump is done (the font is renderd into javascript arrays which
might enable others to use it the same way as you)

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html