[TYPO3-english] mnoGoSearch Charset problem

Bernd Wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Tue Sep 27 08:13:26 CEST 2011

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:24:18 +0200, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Graham Solomon wrote:
>> I am having an issue with the mnoGoSearch extension, the default
>> language of the website I am working on is Polish and the non standard
>> chars in the search results are being rendered as '?'. I am not sure
>> why this is as they are rendered correctly in TYPO3 content elements.
>
> Most likely the problem is with the charset of the mnogosearch database.
> Make sure it is utf-8. You may need to drop and recreate database with
> "default character set utf8".

Hi Graham,
as you are using TYPO3 4.5 using a UTF-8 Database is recommended as Dmitry
said.
After that I always remove these entries completly from localconf.php:
| $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] = 'utf-8';
| $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES utf8;';

keep watch: they might be stored as
| $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] = '';
| $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = '';
which is more dangerous.
Remove these entries as your site will not work with empty string values.

bernd