[TYPO3-english] typoscript multi-column mega-menu

jaco graaff jaco at spacexplorer.co.za
Wed Sep 21 12:41:52 CEST 2011

Hi Andreas - no that is not what I am after - I do not simply want a
horisontal list of submenus, but a stacked horisontal list of submenus
devided by (n) columns

I drew up an example

http://www.spacexplorer.net/examples/typoscriptMultiColumnMenuIllustration.png

I am fine with level 1 and level 2 (although the order is not
(1,2),(3,4),(5)  but rather (1,4),(2,5),(3) - because I am testing against
%3  - I can live with that - also the menu's will change from 5 to
whatever, - say it has 7 entries: (1,4,7),(2,5),(3,6)  - ideally I would
want it (1,2,3),(4,5,6),(7) - but like I said - I can live with it )

The problem is that a simple menu looks like this:

##------------------------------------------------------
menu = HMENU
menu {
## first level
1 = TMENU
    1.expAll = 1
    1.NO = 1
    1.NO{
}
## second level
2= TMENU
    2.expAll = 1
    2.NO = 1
    2.NO{
}

}

##------------------------------------------------------

but because I am using ({register:count_HMENU_MENUOBJ}+2)%3

in the ## first level block

and need the count to continue to duplicate the block and test for
({register:count_HMENU_MENUOBJ}+1)%3

I can't have the
## second level
2= TMENU

I'll have to write some pretty complex COA object, etc..

-------- the next is a rant - - -
I have implemented the simple menu and used javascript to move things around
client side for now (this took me 15min) - but I do want to lessen
client-side UI configuration

while with typoscript I have been spending more than 2 days and I keep on
hitting walls

PHP would also be easier - I reckon I have to learn how to write a typo3
extension and extend it with PHP -

I wish I could use javascript or PHP server side to accomplish this easy and
not hassle with typoscript

I do want to learn how to do it since I do want to understand typoscript
better

Why?? - because I love TYPO3

thanks