[TYPO3-english] FCEs without TV: state of the art?

Peter Niederlag typo3-list at niekom.de
Wed Sep 7 15:46:38 CEST 2011

Hello,

Am 07.09.2011 09:17, schrieb Dmitry Dulepov:
> Hi!
>
> Martin Bless wrote:
>> which method of creating "flexible content elements" (FCEs) like in
>> Templavoila but without TV ist state of the art?
>
> Why reinvent the wheel? Just use TV. Make your life simpler.

1.)
Because the DS mixes Model (data-structure) and visual layout
(rendering/Typoscript) and then this is mapped on a static
(HTML-)template. For complex/flexible content elements with differnet
options this tends to a not very clear/easy to understand mixture.

2.)
The Mapping can't easily be versioned externally (by SCM) or synched
between systems.

IMO the datastructure/flexforms are really powerful/nice. For the
rendering I'd really prefer to hand over the data (object/array) to a
template-system (for example fluid) and let that take care of the visual
represantation in the Frontend!

I understand TV is efficient for some people/projects but unfortunatly
it is not for all cases!

For example getting the count of elements in a section into a class
attribute of a wrapping/outer div in the HTML-template is a simple
requirement which is quite hard to implement with FCE's.

I guess it is a matter of personal preferences and everyone has his/her
personal taste. I can only second that TV/FCE's are not perfect in all
cases.

Greets,
Peter
--