[TYPO3-english] Amharic Translation

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Tue Sep 6 13:35:37 CEST 2011

Hi,

>> We would need to add support to TYPO3 too, there's a step-by-step
>> procedure describing how to do so.
>
> Cool add TASK for 4.6 or 4.7?

We could add it to 4.6, it is not that tricky now that we use Pootle
and we have refactored the localization code. In fact, that would be a
perfect opportunity to clean up the procedure and make sure what we have
left from the procedure for good old TYPO3 versions still makes sense.

>> The question is when a new language qualifies to being "supported" by
>> TYPO3?
>
> Support = 100% translation for a redakteur in TYPO3 BE and 100% support
> in FE (not in all extensions), but for dates, etc.?

I'd say supported when the main parts of the Backend are translated and
when a team is actively managing it.

> Other wise we can have two states:
>
> 1. prepared - it's possible to use a lang - but translation is incomplete

That's a point I thought about as well, currently we miss a way to tell
TYPO3 to accept a new arbitrary Backend language.

First step would be to refine the procedure as described above and set
up an account for Amharic on Pootle. Then make sure persons such as
Herbert are able to use their language locally (I could take care of
creating the patch, it will be really tiny with the refactoring).

> 2. suppported - as supposed on top.

Yes.

Last point is providing a clever way of falling back for languages but
fortunately, this is already part of TYPO3 4.6, it just has to be
reviewed because the actual fallback mechanism was prepared but incomplete:

https://review.typo3.org/#change,4718

Dominique started yesterday and told me he should terminate his review
tonight. He did not encounter any problem so far.

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!