[TYPO3-english] Amharic Translation

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Tue Sep 6 09:47:50 CEST 2011

Hi Herbert,

Historia wrote:
> No I have no backend in Amharic. My lanuage skills are not good enough
> to translate that. But all amharic input is working fine in the backend.

OK, now I understand what you mean!

As long as your database is properly using UTF8 (and this is the case
for you), you have absolutely no problem to store and display any
character you want! That's why you can easily have texts written in
Amharic and work on them in the BE.

> I am using Typo3 for years now, but I am no programmer. So it is
> difficult for me to find out where the programs get their translations.
> There is no amharic translation of the weekdays in the locallang files
> of the Newsslider and also not in the ttnews. I also didn't find
> anything like that in the static info tables. I am running out of ideas
> where these language files may be.

This comes from your server itself! When you configure

config.locale_all = <something-with-amharic>

in your TS, then you allow any call to localized date (within your
extension) to use the system's locales you defined and thus get the
localized weekday and month in your output. This does not come from any
translation within TYPO3 but, as said, it comes from your server.

> I could then provide some of the locallang with amharic translations.

If you want to provide some of the locallang with amharic translations,
you should do following:

1) choose Amharic as language to use:

config.language = am

Then start making sure it works by doing something like that for, e.g.,
tt_news:

plugin.tt_news._LOCAL_LANG.am {
	latestHeader = ጡዋት
}

This should change the title "Breaking News:" by ጡዋት

latestHeader is just one of the key I found in
typo3conf/ext/tt_news/pi/locallang.xml

You may create your own localization file for Amharic by reading one of
my recent articles on that:

http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en/tutorials/typo3/articles/managing-localization-files.html

Just stick to ll-XML in your case as you are using TYPO3 4.5.

HTH

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6