[TYPO3-english] 4.6.0 compatibility

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 28 11:24:10 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 28-10-2011 10:49, J. Schaller wrote:
> Well, 4.6.0 breaks compatibility with some extensions and leaves it to
> the admin to find out if and which those may be. That just doesn't cut
> it. I can't go through a long list of extensions and check if
> everything still works. The least one would expect if such a drastic
> step has been taken is to support the admin in identifying what is and
> isn't still working, through the log or the extension manager.

This has been announced at the beginning of the development of 4.6
(about three quarters of a year ago). Only functionality which has been
marked as deprecated in 4.4 or earlier (some functions even back in
3.8!!) have been removed. Until 4.6 usage of those functions was logged
in the deprecation log (if you didn't deactivate it).
Now that you are back with 4.5 you can see in the deprecation log which
extensions are problematic...

I think there was plenty of time to find which extensions used functions
which would be removed.

Furthermore, we had a couple of alpha and beta releases and even a
Release Candidate (which differs only with the final in a few bugfixes).
These versions were great opportunities to test your site with and find
out if there were problems with extensions. That would give you the
chance to contact the extension developers and try to get things fixed
before the release of 4.6

> I realize that Typo3 is getting better all the time from a
> progammmatical point of view, and that some things like the new
> extension manager in 4.6 work nicely, but overall the user experience
> still has a long way ahead of it.

It has been repeated over and over, but TYPO3 is a community product and
you are also part of that community. You could contribute with testing,
filing bug reports or submitting ideas for improvements.

Instead of just complaining it would be very helpful if you give details
of which extensions do not work and what exactly goes wrong. With that
information the community can also help you with these problems.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.