[TYPO3-english] Page Custom fields

Bernd Wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Mon Oct 24 09:58:13 CEST 2011

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:51:40 -0300, Gorosito Gonzalo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In my client's web site I need to classify the pages and then add
> additional data (let's say metadata) for each type of them, in order to
> create special sections for each one and work on the different templates
> for each page type.
>
> For instance:
> Type "Products", which have several extra fields: price, date added,
> stock Type "Downloads", which have also extra fields: version, related
> product(s), etc.
>
> So, how should I approach this on typo3? In Drupal, I would just add a
> new content type and then configure the fields for it, but in typo3
> seems to be a little bit harder to do that, any ideas?

in TYPO3 all Information is handled by records. these records does not
need to represent pages or content elements, just data.
To show this data you typically use plugins which can be configured for
the exact needs. this can be a selection of the data-records, by Storage-
page, by categories or other selections, or a list of direct references.

You also can extend the existing data-structures like pages or content
elements.

All this is done in extensions.
Meanwhile building extensions can be done in two ways, both are supported
with 'wizard-tools'
- the old one (pibase) can be started by the 'kickstarter'
- the new one (extbase) can be started be the 'extension builder'
(search for these extensions in TER)
there are documentations for it in different amounts. Keep in Mind: you
can do all by yourself (PHP) or integrate into TYPO3 and use the TYPO3-API
which enables your extension to integrate into newer versions of TYPO3
(after upgrades) and work together with other extensions.

there are different books on extension building. up to now mostly pibased.

bernd