[TYPO3-english] Video conversion in TYPO3

Bernd Wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Tue Nov 29 11:12:48 CET 2011

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:06:20 +0100, Christian Zenker wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I was planning to allow editors to upload videos to be integrated into a
> webpage. As I have never done this before, I just figured out that the
> Media CE of TYPO3 is only capable of displaying already converted videos
> (if I did not miss something!?). But for editors it would be much nicer
> just having to upload (almost) any video like they can do with images.
> So the idea came to mind that it should not be too difficult to have
> maybe a scheduler task and some tool like ffmpeg or mencoder to convert
> videos. But before I start writing something from scratch, I'd like to
> ask how you deal with this? Which tools do you use? Or is there an
> easier way for editors to convert videos?

some time ago there were rumors that a video-tool is planned for TYPO3
like the gifbuilder. it should be based on ffmpeg.
I don't know how far the project has been gone.

The idea is very nice. one big drawback might be the converting times,
which might take very long, depending on video-dimensions, -time, -
quality, -codec. but as the gifbuilder is caching new rendered picture,
this video-tool could cache them after one initial conversion.

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html