[TYPO3-english] loading extension list speed up

Bernd Wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Wed Nov 23 10:51:16 CET 2011

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:57:44 +0100, Tomasz Krawczyk wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Yesterday, I was downloading extension list on my development pc. For
> this operation I had to change max_execution_time to 15 min. Process
> took over 12 min. My pc is not a scrap jet. It's 3 years old machine
> with E8400 processor.

I have never seen such times on retrieving ext-list.
it always is done in less than 1 minute execution time.
what other possibilities for such long time?
too less memory and the OS is swapping all the time?
debugging?
accustic-modem connection?

> I wonder if we could resign from putting whole history that is inside
> extensions.xml file. In order to check if I have to upgrade some
> extension I only need an info about the newest extension versions in the
> TER to compare with installed. Detailed info is the ChangeLog file.

this would miss the possibility to download older version which might be
needed because of dependencies to other extensions (unpublished
individual and in TER), PHP, TYPO3, external interfaces, ...

> Now the table cache_extensions contains over 36.000 records. I don't
> think it is necessary.

look at your cache-tables: much more records.
there are installations where much more tt_content or fe_users records
exists. 36000 is no problem to mysql and 5MB transfer data should not be
a problem today (otherwise you would not be able to work remote in TYPO3
BE anyway)
how did you install TYPO3 (smallest package (blankpackage-4.5.8.tar.gz)
is 19MB)? 2 hours download?

> What do you think guys?

you have a weird configuration (SCNR)

bernd