[TYPO3-english] Under maintenance page while upgrading

yanagik317 at netscape.net yanagik317 at netscape.net
Mon Nov 21 22:06:33 CET 2011

Typo3sters,

I sort of searched through the archives and couldn't really find.  Is there "easy" way to put up a little "Under Maintenance" type of page while I upgrade Typo3?

I tries playing around with changing DirectoryIndex but that didn't really work.  I still got the usual front page instead of my cute little maintenance.html.

I'm vaguely thinking I can just change DNS while upgrading, but that would steer even my own laptop (unless I play with /etc/hosts, blah).  Typo3Wiki says to "think of active users" and I will, at least of those who may update pages by telling them not to, but what of the general public access?  Would they see some weird stuff while schema change is being applied to the database, etc?

Obvious newbie I am.  I'd appreciate input from those that have gone through this before.

Thank you,

--Koji