[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 --> PHP 5.3

Ivano Luberti luberti at archicoop.it
Mon May 30 14:59:33 CEST 2011

We had just to face this issue working for a customer that wanted his
site running on PHP5.3
We have to install and configure an extension called questionaire
(pbsurvey) for them and found this issue about ereg_replace function.

It was quite easy to replace that function with the 5.3 proper
substitute preg_replace , and I guess that in the most cases it is easy
to fix this issue even with little PHP skills.

As pointed out by Georg is really a extension by extension issue: this
decision really has to be based on your use case scenario: can you plan
now which extensions you are going to use? Have you enough PHP
competences to deal with it?

Think that if you are going to use extension that are not often
maintained than the drawback in updating them is not so high because you
are not going to update it frequently.
On the other hand if the author is actively maintaining an extension
then it will fix PHP 5.3 compatibility by itself quite soon, giving the
definitive switch of Typo3 4.6 to PHP 5.3.

Finally we are going to produce a patch for questionaire and publish it
on typo3 bug web site (where also extensions bugs are published). If the
majority of Typo3 users and developers will use this practice it will be
even easier to keep on using the great majority of the extensions on PHP 5.3

Il 30/05/2011 14.08, Georg Ringer ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> Am 30.05.2011 13:57, schrieb Mikel Wohlschlegel:
>> I'm running a dev server with PHP 5.3 and recognized a lot of
>> incompatible extensions, e.g. ereg_replace = deprecated.
>
> please don't mix Core and Extensions! The core is IMO ready for PHP
> 5.3 and as you found out: With 4.6, 5.3 will be needed and many
> changes are currently done in the core to simplify code by using 5.3
> things.
>
> Deprecated doesn't mean that it doesn't work anymore. It depends on
> the author if he fixes the extenison or not.
>
>> * Will TYPO3 5 only run with PHP 5.3?
>
> v5 is not in near future and nothing you have to be afraid of currently.
>
>> * It there a special need for Extbase / Fluid running under PHP 5.3?
>
> My guess: More and more extensions (especially new ones) will make use
> of 5.3.
>
> 2nd guess: It depends which extensions you wanna use and how well they
> are maintained.
>
>> * Or is it better to stay with PHP 5.2 for just another while?
>
> Sometimes you have to decide. In my case I would have needed both once
> (for different extensions) and I switched to 5.3
>
> Georg

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa