[TYPO3-english] problem with charset / DB

Georg Schönweger georg.schoenweger at gmail.com
Fri May 27 15:33:43 CEST 2011

Hello Kay,

thank you for your tip!
Anyway if i connect to DB via cmd (with --default-connection=latin1 for
latin1 DB and --default-connection=utf-8 for utf-8 DB) i do not have
charset problems, all umlauts and special characters are ok.
As i mentioned earlier everything is ok expect  1-2 page visits per day ..
Example:
i visit the page at 08:00 --> everything ok
i visit again at 12:00 --> umlauts broken --> charset problem
i reload the page --> umlauts ok again
everything ok till next 1-2 days

this is not a browser problem because i tested with different browser
(lynx ecc.). And after writing explicitly to localconf.php:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES latin1';
the problem seems to be gone. So for me it looks like on Ubuntu the
default connection character set (PHP -> MYSQL) changes from time to
time. Could this be possible?!
the problem isn't related to a certain typo3 version, the same happens
for typo3 3.7, 4.2, 4.4

- Georg