[TYPO3-english] problem with charset / DB

Georg Schönweger georg.schoenweger at gmail.com
Fri May 27 10:51:33 CEST 2011

Hi,

after moving some of our Typo3 websites to a new server (from openSuse
11.0 to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) i have strange behaviour with charsets. When i
call the Website in FE *sometimes* special characters are broken. With
sometimes i mean one visit per day. Then after a reload of the page no
charset problems anymore. I tried this with different browsers and also
with lynx (a command line browser). Now i fear that i made something
wrong when dumping my database.
Configuration on old server was:
forceCharset = utf-8 (only relevant charset config in localconf.php)
database connection = latin1 (standart in openSuse 11.0)
database / tables = latin1

i made the dump just by doing "mysqldump -uXXX -pXXX database > database.sql

on the new server i have the same configuration;
forceCharset = utf-8 (only relevant charset config in localconf.php)
database connection = latin1 (standart in Ubuntu 10.04)
database / tables = latin1

i checked also in mysql "show variables like "%char%" -- they are the
same on new- and old server

i tried now to put
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES latin1';
to localconf.php and this seems to resolve my problem. But why? Since
latin1 connection to DB is already set by MYSQL (standart also in Ubuntu
10.04). Till now i had no more charset problems or at least i did not
see them. Although this is very strange ...
Do you think i have a problem in my Database? duplicate utf-8 encoding?
How can i check this?

- Georg