[TYPO3-english] how is 4.5 BE is "heavier and slower" for you?

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Fri Mar 25 18:33:35 CET 2011

Hi all

We had those problems too as most of those who commented here remember. It
is still not fast at all and often we have to wait even very long time until
we are able to access the content. Especially the extension Manager was a
huge problem.

We made it much faster again since we are using i.e. the old extension
manager way of updating extensions again. This is significantly faster and
has much lesser klicks.

second we upgraded our servers 2 weeks ago to Debian6 and all newest
Versions of PHP 5.3 and MySQL etc. This brought a huge increase of speed.
Also we checked in all our sites no_pcconnect and this load error doesn't
appear so often. Unfortunately it still happens and than you have nothing
than a blank page in the backend and of course those pink message boxes
which multiply themselves multiple times.

Since last week we also use chromium 10 on all our Computers and this
brought  another good speed increse. FF seems to be totally overwhelmed with
the amount of javascript and is even in its newest current version totally
slow.

Opera does a pretty good job too.

Unfortunately chrome has real problems with copy pasting stuff and sometimes
shuts down completely without any visible reason, i.e. when you want to move
one Tab to another screen on Ubuntu.

All Backend features actually only work successfully in FF but this is slow.

Isn't there a way to have those huge amount of javascript already saved in
your Chromium or other Browsers I think this would really help to speed up
the stuff as those files would not be needed to be downloaded.

FAZIT:
in our opinion and our experience

The overload of the server is caused by the nopcconnect - check it and it
will be much lower.
Check also if you have be_acl installed - it seems to have problems!!!
The BE loading itself could be faster if the jquery libraries would be
already loaded on the browser i.e. Chromium
Significantly more speed is possible with the newest Hetzner Debian 6 Image.
The amount of clicks in Extension manager should be reduced again to what t
was in the old extension Manager - especially while updating extensions.

Andi