[TYPO3-english] Multi-domain site with different branches in tree

Christian Lerrahn typo3 at penpal4u.net
Thu Mar 24 09:21:35 CET 2011

Hi,
> I have a site which has the structure
>
> home
> |
> -- uk
> |
> -- de
> |
> -- fr
> .
>
> Now, the site offers http://www.example.com/uk as
> http://www/example.co.uk/ as well, same for http://www.example.com/de
> and http://www.example.de and http://www.example.com/fr and
> http://www.example.fr.
>
> I can easily set up the site to work for the different domain names by
> using domain records. Using TS conditions I can also make sure that
> the site is cached with different base tags (CoolURI in use) and so
> on. I can live with the fact that CoolUri will still generate Links
> like http://www.example.co.uk/uk/abc instead of
> http://www.example.co.uk/abc.
>
> However, there is one real problem I have. As the whole site is one
> tree, editors can set internal links to pages outside their branch of
> the tree. If for example the editor on the French pages linked to the
> page http://www.example.com/uk/abc he would do so through an internal
> link. Now, the problem there is that because of my base tag, this link
> will then become http://www.example.fr/uk/abc which is invalid because
> this page is outside what TYPO3 knows as the root of the example.fr
> domain. How do I solve this problem? Do I have to move all the
> branches out of the main branch and mount them in instead? It is
> important to me that the path http://www.example.com/uk/abc is still
> valid and does not get rewritten.

I have found a workaround which works for now. However, it comes with 2
trade-offs. What I did is set the TS templates on the "country level"
pages all to be root level templates. The small price to pay for that
is that I have to re-include my TV templates on the country level root
pages now. The much bigger trade-off (and the reason why I still
consider this makeshift) is that I get ugly URLs for the pages external
to the local branch now. In other words, if I link to
http://www.example.com/fr (id=4) from http://www.example.co.uk, I get a
link http://www.example.com/?id=4 now instad of
http://www/example.com/fr . I'm using CoolURI for path generation. Can
this be fixed somehow?