[TYPO3-english] I just need to create exiting websites on my mac using TYPO3

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Sun Mar 13 02:40:08 CET 2011

Hi Jacob

Installing TYPO3 on a mac is very very simple and it works instantly. If not
something is wrong on your system but I guess everything will work just
fine!

Go here: http://webempoweredchurch.org/services/download-packages/

download the Mac Server Package:
http://webempoweredchurch.org/fileadmin/proj/wec_starter/src/wec_macdemo.dmg

it is a .dmg file

Follow exactly this instructions.
http://webempoweredchurch.org/services/download-packages/localdemomac/

afterwords - in about 5 Minutes or less after downloading the package you
will have a complete TYPO3 website with installed news, forum, staff
directory, gallery, podcasting, jobboard, guestbook, blog, flash
presentation, ical, Googlemaps, Memeber Area, and lots of ready to go Themes
which you can switch instantly or backup or copy them with a click so you
can modify them to your needs - at your fingertips.

You can even install more skins and check out the look and the features of
your new mac website here http://demo.webempoweredchurch.org

The Mac Server Package has all requirements for TYPO3 already installed!
Nothing to worry about.

As this server package is still 4.4.2 you should as a first step upgrade it
to 4.5.2

Therefore you need to run the update wizard in installtool after you have
downloaded the 4.5.2 source code. Follow EXACTLY every step in this wizard
especially the point where it says to insert the special code on top of your
.htaccess file!!!, insert this code by hand (copy paste from the wizard)
than do a database compare and you have a newest TYPO3 up and running in
less than 10 Minutes.

If you now want to have other extensions in - no problem - simply install
them from TER or deinstall Things you don't need. If you are not sure if you
will need a feature later on I suggest you to use the build in Feature
enable stuff which you will find in WEB - Site Config - choose the Rootpage
and than in the dropdown "feature" simply disable your blog if you don't
want it or the guestbook (prayer-connector) if you don't need it. DON'T
delete it as all these extensions have been setup to work instantly in your
new TYPO3 website and you save a lot of time in reinventing wheels if you
simply either MOVE these features to a reserved place or simply leave them
where they are as hidden. If you finally are very sure you won't need them
there is time enough to delete them ;-)

You can find here lots of materials how to work with your newly installed
TYPO3 package:
http://webempoweredchurch.org/support/how-to-build-your-website/
here you can learn how to build a website

and more advanced
http://webempoweredchurch.org/support/classes/
work through all those classes here. They show you with videos what you can
do and you can follow it step by step

for the installed ready to start plugins of this package
http://webempoweredchurch.org/support/plugins-page/
you will find more information here

as you want to customize your website you can use professional services
http://webempoweredchurch.org/services/customize-your-website/,
or us or many others
or you go here:
http://templavoila.busynoggin.com/
here the framework this package is using is described in detail and you only
need to follow its instructions exactly step by step and you can customize
look and functionality of your skins very easy

But as you could see already on the demo website their are lots of templates
already in TER.
go there:
http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/?tx_terfe_pi1%5Bview%5D=search&no_cache=1&tx_terfe_pi1%5Bsword%5D=TV+Framework+Skin
and search for TV Framework Skin

if you even wanna be a bit more flexible with less programming, you can
choose also to install
http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/t3xcscimp/current/
with this extension you can modify the fonts, colors very easy.
Until now no TV Framework Skin using this extensions power has been released
but you can easily modify all other skins to work with it, you only need to
ensure that the body tag of the framework does not get overwritten, so don't
use the bodytag stuff from this extension.

Let's create/modify a skin:

To do so you need to first choose a skin and click the COPY button to copy
your skin from EXT to fileadmin/config/skins/skin_name...

Now you can start modifying your skin to your needs. Make your changes in
the files of the subfolders.
If you need ideas for some new template designs which you can easily use to
setup a new skin go here:
http://dotemplate.com
modify the template header/footer and text parts to your needs and download
the complete html template

now compare and insert the html codes into your copy of an existing template
(in the typoscript section - simply recreate the template in your skin)
load the css file of the downloaded html file into the css folder and ensure
that it gets loaded last. (lateron you can modify the mainstyles CSS with
this css code) It should work more or less instantly. If not check if you
have the same divs etc in your typoscript template as in the html.

If you have now modified your skins and created a new look or functionality
or both than go here:
http://typo3.org/extensions/extension-keys/
login and register an extension key - Attention:
let it start with: skin_yourname_skinname (i.e. skin_xyz_sunnyday)
and
in the description let it start with "TV Framework skin: name of the skin"
(i.e. TV Framework skin: XYZ Sunny Day)

This ensures that all the skins for the frameworks get listed at one place
in TER and the short name inbetween ensures also that it will be easy to
find your specific skins easily.

i.e. in TER you find already skins form
Ron Hall - Busy Noggin:
skin_bn_nameOfTheSkin

or usat ThaiPo3 T3Pack
skin_abc_nameOfTheSkin

or Typo3 Distributions
skin_dt3_nameOfTheSkin

or wec (webempowerdchurch)
skin_nameOfTheSkin (they don't use a short identifier until now!)

You need to rename the skin folder with the name of your skin
(i.e. skin_xyz_sunnyday)
further name changes you need to do in "skin_xyz_sunnyday/ext_emconf.php"
and you need to change the text in "skin_xyz_sunnyday/info.txt" accordingly

fill in the name of the extension at the end of second line (replace the
existing one - all letters are small!)
fill in the description and Name as suggested above (replace the existing
once)
go to author and following fields (replace the existing information with
yours and don't forget to fill in your email so people can contact you later
if they i.e. would like to get your services, give feedback, suggestions and
bugs etc.)

Now you copy the modifications/creation of your new skin from fileadmin with
its complete file and folder structure as it is to typo3conf/ext (i.e. use
quixplorer)
Go to your extension Manager and install the new skin and choose it in site
config - it should work instantly - test it - especially also the
description in the info file and the preview image if it matches your
specific skin

skin_extension to TER and make it public so everyone in the community can
choose and use it from TER.

If you have further questions feel free to contact us via PM.

Andi