[TYPO3-english] Handling of deep linking to protected pages

Lorenz Ulrich lorenz-typo3 at visol.ch
Fri Mar 11 13:26:45 CET 2011

Hi everyone

I need some advice in a use-case with protected pages.

I have a mixed setup with pages that need to be protected, while other
pages are open to public, for example:

- [1] Main page with login form (public)
-- [2] Subpage 1 (protected)
-- [3] Subpage 2 (public)

I would like to have deep linking to the protected subpages:

"An overview about all your inscriptions can be found on
<www.mypage.com/index.php?id=2>"

If the user is not logged in in FE, he should be redirected to the main
page [1]. After logging in he should be redirected to page page he
originally visited [2].

By default, TYPO3 ([FE][pageNotFound_handling] empty) would show the
content of [1] if the user calls [2] ("The next visible page upwards in
the page tree is shown."). So he would see the login form but after
login he is not redirected.

If the PageNotFound handling is activated ([FE][pageNotFound_handling] =
1), TYPO3 will throw a 404 error. This is good for pages that don't
exist but bad for pages that are only access protected.

How would you handle this case? Writing a user function that makes a
difference between access protected and not existing pages and then
either redirect to the 404 page or to the login page? Would that be a
useful feature in general/a valid feature request?

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Lorenz