[TYPO3-english] Correct use of tablenames field in mm tables

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 21 19:21:25 CEST 2011

Hi Guillermo,

On 20-6-2011 15:43, Guillermo R. Oramas J. wrote:
> You said:
>> Although it can work the column tablenames is usually meant for a different situation:
> I still don't understand why my example doesn't match the purpose for
> which the tablenames column was done.

I should have put it a bit differently. I meant to explain that the
mm-tables were meant as a connection between one table and one or more
other tables.

If I understood your construction correctly you wanted to use an
mm-table as a general connection between all kinds of records.

In the TYPO3 situation the tablenames column contains the name of the
table where the records with uid = uid_foreign can be found. The table
of the records where the uid_local refers to is defined in the TCA.
For every relationship (even if this is with records of more than one
table) you should have a separate mm-table.

With bidirectional MM-relations things get more complicated. In the
'select' section of the TCA documentation you can read more details.

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/core-documentation/doc_core_api/4.3.0/view/4/2/#id2522688

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.