[TYPO3-english] transfer typo3 database

Christian Zenker christian.zenker at 599media.de
Tue Jun 14 11:30:33 CEST 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:16:32 +0200, tom liu <tomliutest at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am transferring typo3 to the other site. When i import the typo3
> database
> to the other site through phpmyadmin, it shows the sql file(11MB) too
> large,
> can not be imported, how could i do? thanks.
>
> Blessings--Tom

Hi Tom.

Some ideas:

1. upload the sql file gzipped/bzipped - this will decrease the file size
significantly
2. don't migrate the content of the tables that have the string "cache" in
them (but you have to export the structure though or let the install tool
create them). Usually the cache tables are the largest tables in your
installation. The secure way is to clear the cache in the TYPO3 backend
before creating the dump. Or you use TRUNCATE on the tables you don't need
the content. Make a full backup though! And you should know, what you are
doing!
3. Split the dump. So you basically have two files to upload, each with
one half of the tables. As TYPO3 does not use constrains on foreign keys
on a database level, this does usually work.
4. Don't use phpmyadmin. mysqladmin does the same job on the shell... if
you have access to it.
4b. Just for completeness: You could set some parameters in the php.ini to
raise the file size limit of the files to upload. But, the limit is there
for a reason, so I would not recommend this. And if you have the
possibility to change the php.ini, you usually also have access to the
shell and the upper suggestion would be the better way to go.

Christian.