[TYPO3-english] rtehtmlarea popup dialogs don't display at low resolution

James Corell jcorell at iprus.net
Wed Jun 8 14:18:36 CEST 2011

Hi all.

I recently upgraded to version 4.5.2 to see what all the fuss was about, and
so far I like it. I'm having a serious problem with the new RTE dialogs at
low resolutions (800x600 and lower) however. Before, in Typo3 4.2, the popup
dialogs loaded in a new browser window. Now they load inside the same
window, and in some cases (specifically the image and link dialogs) the
popup header isn't accessible. Which means I can't move it and can't close
it. This is a huge inconvenience for some of my editors. Firefox 3, Firefox

4 and IE 8 all have this problem. Chrome handles things better, but I can't
honestly ask average users to learn Chrome if it doesn't completely fix the
problem.

I know some of you might say, "Just don't use Typo3 at such low
resolutions." I might be inclined to agree with you, but I am also
attempting to provide Advanced Front End editing to my users.

advanced_feedit loads the rte in a smaller inline window, and even at very
high resolutions the RTE popup dialogs aren't fully visible. I can live with
windows that are too big for the editor space, but I still need to be able
to move, resize and close them. I'd really like it best if the dialogs
popped up over everything in the main browser window, or in a new window
like they used to.

As for the default feedit, the icons are different from the back end and
won't load for any of my installations, making it very difficult to click
links.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem or work around the issues I'm
having with feedit and advanced_feedit would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

James Corell

jcorell at iprus.net