[TYPO3-english] Changing Default Upload Directory Location When clicking "Browse..."

Scotty C superscotty19 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 20:49:46 CET 2011

Hi List,

I have a shared installation of TYPO3 and need to make a modification to the
upload functionality of TYPO3. In particular and as I'm sure you know, when a
user wants to add an image to a standard text w/image content element, they have
the option of clicking "Browse" for easy upload of a file on their PC. The
problem for me is, the location they upload to is the general area
/uploads/pics. On a shared server, that makes for a mess because there's
virtually no way of knowing whose files belong to whom. So, I'd like to set the
"Browse" button to work just like the standard filemount, whereby the user gets
their own location in fileadmin and when they upload, the file goes to (example)
fileadmin/user/storage.

My question is, how do I implement this in the user's TS template? My TS coding
abilities aren't that advanced. I know that it's part of the TCA array, and
specially:

 'uploadfolder' => 'uploads/pics'

... but I don't know what to put in the setup/contants field of the template.

As always, thanks so much in advance,
-Scott.