[TYPO3-english] backend hangs randomly

Nicola Cerchiari nicola.cerchiari at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 11:40:41 CET 2011

Hi to all,
First time here suggested by friends of the italian mialing list; i'm
encountering a very annoying problem of which I can find no solutions.

The problem is that randomly during day calling any backend action hang the
browser on "waiting for response..." and the only solution left is to stop
the call, wait several minutes and then everything is back to normal until
it happens again.
For example the same action works for 2 hours and then all of a sudden
hangs. Even accessing to backend login page sometimes hangs.
I've tested the same website and core on my test machines and I never
encounter any problem.
I give you some data in other to better understand the situation:
- php 5.2.x with all libraries needed
- mysql 5.1.55 in replication master/slave (just updated)
- 2 balanced webserver apache/redhat (on a vmware virtualized farm)
- filesystem of webserver ron a shared NAS
- version of typo3 on which the problem is encountered: 4.4.6 and 4.5.0

The matter is that when backend works, works pretty fast, but the nall of a
sudden with apparently no reason it hangs.

System admnistrators of the infrastructure suggested at first that there was
a "strangly" large amount of calls in TIME_WAIT state, then they suggested
maybe the mysql server is not tuned sufficiently to stand the increasing
requests (consider that this infrastructure receive >50.000 user visit a
day) and they will try a fine tuning in the next day.

What i'm looking for is to understand if the problem is due to Typo3 (i
don't think so) or there is some problem in our infrastructure.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance,
Nicola