[TYPO3-english] Workspaces in TYPO3 4.5 - still complicated/confusing?

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Tue Feb 22 02:50:39 CET 2011

Hi Tomas

What you said is absolute Ok and it is good that you said it as many don't
do this and keep quite and complain in the inner.

@Steffen

Backwards compatibility is often the cause that things don't go like they
could if people would simply update regular their sites.
i.e. we do this as a service for all of our customers to keep their sites
and our servers and sites secure, modern and working with state of the art
technology.

Core updates are such as easy, meanwhile done even with an extension and
same applies to extension updates.
If an extension breaks contact the developer so he can change it, or submit
him a patch if you have one, and if nothing changes and no feedback in at
most one week simply change the extension or modify your own one.

Things could go much faster and better if you (the Association, Core
Developers etc) would simply put a bit more pressure on those old
site heroes to change middle age TYPO3 below 4.3 to modern 4.5+. It is
really not such difficult to update a site and those who have problems
simply get in contact with us! (and I guess many others who provide similar
services!

It is really not good to read here in this thread that i.e. Draft Modus is
buggy (buty it is available by default) - so simply don't show draft modus
and FORCE people to create a custom workspace. If Tomas wouldn't have
brought up this topic we also would have thought how great workspaces are
right now - we believed the announcements. So now we were worn't just in
time and were able to follow Dmitrys very good advice to create a custom
workspace instead.

   1. Don't show things which aren't working  at first place and make people
   believe it is working
   2. Developers should be more open for critics from those who are using
   and developing sites with it
   3. Don't ever try to cut the line of communication while saying a
   statement was "stupid" or what else. No question is to stupid to be asked!
   4. "Inspire to share" - this is exactly what happened with Tom and all
   others here on the thread. Tomas got inspired by the great announcements,
   like we, and gave it another try. Now it is up to you to get inspired by the
   feedbacks you get, so that Tomas and all others like us can get inspired
   over and over again to give valuable feedback.
   5. In a Community like TYPO3 you have people who can program, design or
   just integrate TYPO3 etc, but you have also a lot of people who actually
   have to work as an editor every day with it, agencies who want to see it
   (even they don't know much about TYPO3 itself), etc. All of those do a great
   job to make TYPO3 more popular and better every day if they will communicate
   and give feedbacks to others. So be happy about this thread and the result
   it will hopefully bring up soon!
   6. Be always sure that people really appreciate all the working hours
   core and other developers put into TYPO3 to get the code cleaner, much
   faster and better structured with great usability. On the other hand
   everyone who is involved in this should also be sure that those who are
   using it invest the same amount of time and afford to get it running for a
   customer, promoting what you developed, spreading the joy of TYPO3, etc.
   Only if both do a good job we will get a good, stable, fast, secure, usable,
   .... TYPO3. Communication is the A and O of everything!

Lets get things done!

Andi