[TYPO3-english] Workspaces in TYPO3 4.5 - still complicated/confusing?

Tomas Mrozek mail at cascaval.com
Mon Feb 21 15:05:04 CET 2011

> Firsts, drop draft workspace, it is limited and buggy... Use custom
> workspace.

Actually, I was talking about a custom workspace. I have it named "DRAFT
workspace" and that's why I used that title. I'm sorry for the confusion.

> Secondly, it looks like a bug

No, I now see it's not. I compared it to v4.4 and it's still the same.
There's still "Publish" (changes the workspace of the content to LIVE)
and "Swap" (changes the workspace of the content to LIVE, while changing
the current LIVE version to DRAFT), the 2 buttons are just not next to
each other anymore.

REVISION
--------
The problems as I see it now are (and always have been) following:

* 2 modes: "Publish" and "Swap" and it's impossible to explain the
difference to an editor.

* "Publish" creates 2 element versions in the LIVE workspace and thus it
confuses editors who open Workspace module while in the LIVE workspace.

* "Swap" switches the elements' workspaces and thus puts the LIVE into
DRAFT and again confuses editors who go to DRAFT and think there's some
new DRAFT version of the element (while in fact it's the old LIVE version).

In my opinion there should be:

* Only one mode of publishing drafted element.

* The publishing should REPLACE the current LIVE version with the DRAFT
one, thus removing it so that it doesn't cause confusion in any workspace.

My current conclusion therefore is, that the whole functionality is
still the same crap and I don't understand what was the fuss about when
v4.5 was published as I now see no improvement to the workspaces.

Tomas Mrozek