[TYPO3-english] Workspaces in TYPO3 4.5 - still complicated/confusing?

Tomas Mrozek mail at cascaval.com
Mon Feb 21 10:51:57 CET 2011

I've never enabled editors to use workspaces in TYPO3 as I felt that
it's impossible to explain how it works. With the new TYPO3 and changes
made to workspaces, I gave it another shot.

Well, it is better but, in my opinion, still confusing. Why? Let's see:

An editor makes changes in a DRAFT workspace. The change goes through
the stages and then it's published. The content is no longer being shown
in the DRAFT workspace. Good. Now the editor switches to the LIVE
workspace and sees the content in a stage "Editing" and thus can send it
to the next stage. (???) He runs it through all the stages and when it's
published, the content is still there in a stage "Editing". (???)

I think that I (mostly) understand the technicalities behind the scene
and that there are now 2 content versions in the LIVE workspace but how
on earth can you explain this to an editor?!

The concept of *versions* inside a *workspace* (which people understand
as a version itself) seems to me to be really complicated.

QUESTIONS:

* Is there any possibility that a DRAFT workspace version of an element
can replace the LIVE workspace version upon publishing so that the LIVE
version is removed completely and thus that there is always only one
version inside the LIVE workspace?

* How would that affect history of the element and the possibility to do
a roll-back to the previous state?

Tomas Mrozek